17 December, 2010

Ashes to Ashes

"Maybe when a kids screaming, they're just the only one allowed to speak their mind."

Born of a mind
To take down the world
As long as my dogs in the fight
I wiped every tear
And  patched every hole in sight

I didn't need........ a flag or a name
Pieces of  pleasure
Or beautiful things
All those shadows
Just abstracts and
Art in my eyes

The long nights of living
In places where knowledge
Could kill time
Put me straight in the arms of
Souls just as hungry for dreams

And wouldn't you know
That the love and the wine
Brought fertile flowers
That  knew how to climb
To, honey
this future of
Your mama and me

Baby you're born
And daddy's too late
To dwell on things that might never change
So what
Maybe that worlds out of sight

I'm just a fool
Born in a small town
Shakin' off dust
For the future I'm bound
I 'spose
Rubbin my neck and my eyes

Still up in the sky
The future glows
From the pastures
Of of plenty
That everyone knows
Yeah, we're dust
But don't we look pretty tonight?

8 comments:

Jenny said...

Hi Andy,

Always a treat to pop in here and elsewhere and find new songs and texts by you.

Great song. Different from the Bowie song with the same title. Ashes and dust, interesting how they always remain. Ashes, a good fertilizer, I have heard. I think it is nice to think of it as a kind of pollen. An organic process.

Uppsala is covered in snow, -15 C. I have started to like winters again.

Hope all is well with you.

Jenny

Unknown said...

Ashes are a great fertilzer, Jenny... but nothing like your and Ande's presence in my life. What a nice surprise.

Uppsala was mentioned in an article I read a few weeks ago (I thought of the two of you.)

Its 32 F and sunny here in the mountains of New Mexico. I'll be back in Bloomington on the 30th.

I hope you are great too.

Thanks so much... I felt pretty jerky for not writing more this year... but hey, I'm writing now!

I loved hearing your voice the other day... so strange to hear the voice of a person whom I thought I knew... in a sense, for so long. Of course I don't really "know" you well. But still... it had never really occurred to me that I hadn't heard your voice... since I hear it in your poems and a few letters.

Happy Holidays "I hope"

Andy

jbkrost said...

well....
you never know what you'll find on someones page...I just clicked over here and it was a great suprise ....
I read the poems and clicked that thing to the right and the songs started up.....COOL

Cash/Vedder/Springsteen all rolled into one

Unknown said...

jbkrost,

What a treat to read your words. Thanks.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Aj Strong said...

That last stanza just knocks this out of the park man!

Unknown said...

Ah AJ,

Wilst the hopes of a romantic EVER bend to the heavy demands of this world? Not as long as we're able to see ourselves reflected in the endlessness of the Milky Way.. the origins of that first Song, no less.

What kid doesn't climb in bed with Mom and Dad, when very small and not notice that they smell sort of strange? Well... I guess I'm old enough to fit that ticket. Ashes to ashes, bro. Thanks.

anonant said...

Andy - Very nice! I look forward to digging deeper into your writing.
"That everyone knows
Yeah, we're dust
But don't we look pretty tonight?"
:)
peace