09 May, 2009

Easy On The Knees


Sometimes, I get easy... 

On the Knees.

Sometimes, I get shouldered in the way.


Always do call it...

And don't, hey hey.


Sometimes I get easy,

On the knees.


Sometimes I get harder,

Than I need to be at all.

Always much harder,

Than I like.


Ghost ,stay whisper quiet,

In the eve--- like a train.

Sometimes, I get harder than I like.


I come here to pray.

I come here to know.

Will you listen?

To an old man as he say's....

Sometimes, I get harder,

Than I need.....


Lord be more easy............ on my knees.


Sometimes I get easy---


This is a rueful acknowledging of the power of looking at pain when it seeks your attention.  At times in my life I have tried to fight pain and believed that fearing pain, and fighting it were my only options.  With experience, and by watching older friends and mentors with debilitating pain, but beautiful, useful, and often happy lives, I was forced to see that what gets easy on the knees is too easy to see as the person hurting, rather than the person in defiance of a limitation on their life.


It is also yet another meditation on the the puzzlement most of us feel about why we treat people the way we do. I think the song suggests a kind of confessional of disappointment in oneself but also a request that this life be left whole to continue in  more comfort and, yes, even joy.




No comments: